Date of Approval
March 16, 2018
Financial & Technical Partners
- Financial Partner: Green Climate Fund (GCF)
- Technical Partner: Environment General Authority of Libya
- Delivery Partner: Sahara and Sahel Observatory
Country of Operations
- Ministries responsible for the Environment, Agriculture, Energy
- Technical structures and national institutions working on the mobilization of resources for climate
- Private sector
- Civil society and NGOs
Objective of the project
Technical and institutional capacity building of the Libyan authorities in charge of climate finance to access funding sources, in particular the GCF, through concrete actions including the creation of a National Designated Authority (NDA).
Closed (planned to end August 2019, extended until December 31, 2019).
The major results achieved are:
- Technical and institutional country
- capacities are strengthened
- Relevant stakeholders are involved in the process of mobilizing financial resources for climate
- The private sector is made aware and mobilized, it is better involved in intelligent climate-related investments, which improves access to GCF resources
- Access to GCF climate finance resources is improved through the identification and mobilization of accredited entities operating at national level.
The execution of the project helped carry out several activities including in particular:
- Establishment of an NDA (including, mission, formalization decree ...)
- Organization of training and capacity building sessions for the NDA
- Development of a non-objection mechanism
- Development of an information exchange and sharing platform on NDA and GCF activities
- Development of a gender study
- Establishment of an ad hoc committee responsible for periodically approving the new GCF guidelines on climate finance,
- Development of a communication strategy and action plan
- Design of a memorandum of understanding between national partners for the mobilization of climate-dedicated financial resources,
- Identification of the main national operators involved in the mobilization of climate-dedicated financial resources,
- Identification of national institutions that will enter the GCF accreditation process and the creation of a partnership between the NDA, accredited entities, other national project holders, etc.
- Development of guidelines / recommendations for better involvement of the private sector in climate finance,
- Design and editing of awareness-raising and communication materials on climate change and climate finance (film, poster, etc.)
- Design and editing of teaching tools: access guide to climate finance-GCF (Arabic and English) along with a summary.