March 16, 2018
Financial & Technical Partners
- Financial: Green Climate Fund (GCF)
- Technical: Environment General Authority of Libya and the Sahara and Sahel Observatory as "Delivery Partner"
Country of Operations
Ministries, technical services and national institutions involved in the mobilization of climate resources, private sector, civil society, NGO’s.
The project aims to establish a Focal point and a National Designated Authority (NDA) and strengthen their institutional capacities to effectively fulfill their role and responsibilities towards the GCF. It will facilitate the development, through a participatory process, of a national program to address the adverse impacts of climate change, which will take into account national priorities for adaptation and mitigation, as well as requirements.
Ongoing (end August 2019). It will be extended until December 31, 2019.
The country's capacities are strengthened to fulfill its commitments vis-à-vis the GCF :
- Relevant stakeholders are involved in the process of mobilizing climate finance resources, particularly the GCF,
- Private sectors are sensitized and mobilized to ensure their involvement in climate-related smart investments and improve their access to GCF resources.
- Access to GCF's climate finance resources is improved with the identification and mobilization of accredited entities operating at the national level.
During the running period, a Libyan NDA, composed of representatives of the public sector, private sector, NGOs, etc., has been set up. With the support of the project, the capacities of this NDA have been strengthened, which has made possible to achieve several objectives and results as stipulated below:
- Establishment of the members of the NDA: 8 members were appointed by different national institutions, private sector and NGOs
- A Non-Objection mechanism to support the DNA or GCF National Focal Point in validating project requests to be submitted to the Fund with regard to national climate policies, strategies and plans
- A communication strategy with its action plan
- Development of a platform for the exchange and information sharing on the NDA and GCF activities regarding the mobilization of the climate resources and the financing of projects. The organization of training on the platform of exchange of information and data
- An awareness workshop on climate finance and access to the GCF Fund for the National Focal Point (NFP), potential members of the National Designed Authority (NDA), and some stakeholders involved in the field of climate change
- A gender study