Date of approval
4 years (2019 – 2023)
- Adaptation Fund
Financial and Technical partners
- The National Center for the Management of Wildlife Reserves (CENAGREF) of Benin
- The National Office of Protected Areas (OFINAP) and the General Directorate of Water and Forests (DGEF) of Burkina Faso
- The General Directorate of Water and Forests (DGEF) of Niger
- The National Center for Environmental and Ecological Monitoring (CNSEE) of Niger
Benin, Burkina Faso, Niger
Main beneficiaries of the project
- The residents and local authorities at the W, Arly and Pendjari parks
- The technical services of the ministerial departments in charge of the Environment of the three countries
- Local professional organizations
- Women's professional organizations at the local level
- Local NGOs
- Local Civil Society
Strengthening the resilience of ecosystems and improving the living conditions of the WAP complex populations to cope with climate change through an all-risk early warning system relating to droughts, floods and fires, and the implementation of concrete adaptation measures to manage such emergencies.
- Climate and its risks are included in the development master plan and management plans of the complex;
- The all-risk early warning system is used by the beneficiaries to manage emergencies;
- The resilience of populations and ecosystems is enhanced thanks to concrete adaptation measures;
- The living conditions of the populations are diversified and improved;
- The stakeholders are mobilized and made aware through appropriate communication and capacity strengthening.
The project has been approved and put on hold for funding (on top of the list) .
Role of the OSS
The OSS will :
- Supervise the project implementation as Regional Implementation Entity of the Adaptation Fund.
- Receive the funds, dispatch them to the beneficiary countries through the Regional Project Execution Unit,
- Host the Regional Execution Unit in charge of coordinating the project activities.
- Initial contacts with the various national institutions and structures concerned in the three countries, (due diligence procedure and review of the conditions for the entry into force of the project (OSS))
- Organization of a mission to inform and sensitize stakeholders on the modalities of implementation of activities and coordination of the project (Regional Execution Unit)