June 2012 – September 2017
Financial & Technical Partners
Country of operations
Burkina Faso, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Chad and Senegal
- Burkina Faso : Le Secrétariat Permanent du Conseil National pour l’Environnement et le Développement Durable (SP/CONEDD)
- Mali : L’Agence de l’Environnement et du Développement Durable (AEDD)
- Mauritania : La Direction de la Programmation, de la Coordination et de l’Information Environnementale/ Ministère l'Environnement et du Développement Durable (DPCIE / MEDD)
- Niger : Le Centre National de Surveillance Ecologique et Environnementale (CNSEE)
- Nigeria : Federal Ministry of Environment
- Senegal : Centre de Suivi Ecologique (CSE)
- Chad : Ministère de l’Environnement et de la Pêche (MEP)
Strengthen the capacities of the Sahel populations to address environmental changes, climate change in particular, through a better management of natural resources.
- Elaboration and improvement of data and information production tools that enable the monitoring of ecosystems and the assessment of the communities’ adaptive capacity
- Information dissemination through the elaboration of an information circulation system aimed at decision-makers, project implementation actors and communities
- Integration of climate change impacts and other environmental stresses into policymaking processes, notably through the set-up of effective monitoring-evaluation systems
- Establishment of adequate mechanisms and tools to enable a better participation of the communities in decision-making throughout the different stages of the project (planning, implementation, and monitoring-evaluation.)
Achieved (30 September 2017)
Thematic mapping and environmental monitoring:
- Establishment of 19 observatories representative of different ecosystems and environmental issues in the concerned countries,
- Support to national institutions through the provision of IT tools, GPSs, and automatic weather stations,
- Inventories of existing ecological and socio-economic data,
- Analysis and processing of ecological and socio-economic data collected by the observatories (reports development),
- Design and establishment of mapping data production chains according to technical specifications approved by the partners,
- Development and validation of thematic maps at the national and observatories levels:
- Land use: Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Mauritania
- Update of Mali’s and Chad’s vegetation maps
- Map at the scale of 1/50 000 of the new observatories : Mauritania, Senegal and Chad
- Establishment of a regional Information Circulation System for the dissemination of the project products,
- Technical and material support for the design and consolidation of information systems at the national level,
- Regular dissemination of the project products in adapted formats through different communication channels in line with the project communication strategy
Integration of environmental monitoring tools
- Implementation of national studies « Analysis of decisional procedures to define the role of populations and the appropriate mechanism for their involvement in decision-making » to promote the integration of M&E at the national level.
- Communication actions for decision makers in matters related to environmental monitoring and thematic mapping products,
- At the international level: through the participation in the UN Conferences of the Parties (UNCCD/UNFCCC),
- At the regional and national levels: through the organization of 14 awareness-raising and results reporting workshops.
- Organization of a regional workshop for parliamentarians and creation of a common platform to improve strategic decisions in terms of sustainable development ,
- Implementation of national studies on local know-how at the observatories level and its valorization through the elaboration of a regional summary of the results obtained;
- Implementation of a regional study on the integration of the gender dimension in climate change adaptation and natural resources management programs and policies in the Sahara and Sahel region;
- Situational analysis of the environmental education actions conducted in the sub-region.
- Awareness-raising actions to strengthen populations adaptive capacities to environmental changes (desertification, drought, weather events, carbon sequestration) and use of adapted monitoring products
- Reportages in local TV channels: Senegal, Mali, Chad, Mauritania, Niger…,
- Elaboration of radio magazines disseminated in community radios,
- Presence in national and sub-regional press and Internet.
Success stories: the REPSAHEL project allowed to conduct meetings with the local communities in the observatories concerned. 10 meetings were held in the beneficiary countries and allowed to bring together a total number of more than 200 people.The environmental education actions concerned more than 1500 pupils per country, of which 50% girls.These actions included drawing competitions for pupils.