On the occasion of its participation in the 14th Conference of the Parties (COP) of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD), which is being held in New Delhi, India, from 2 to 13 September 2019, OSS is organizing on Thursday, 12 September from 13:00 to 15:00 - room MET-09, a side event*** on Combating Land Degradation : Monitoring needs and Required fundings.
During this event, the debate will be based on the experience of OSS and its partners and will focus on two themes:
Importance of the Earth Observation data for monitoring Land Degradation, providing decision-makers and populations relevant information on the state of resources and monitoring results and impacts. The debate will focus on the following items:
- Identify strategic data for feeding the LDN indicators
- Disseminate the monitoring progress achievements in Sustainable Land and Water Management investments
- Share and value technologies and free high resolution Geospatial data to assess the Land Use Change, land productivity and the Carbon stock above and below ground
Opportunities and challenges for financing Sustainable Land Management actions and combating drought and desertification using climate funding. The debate will focus on the following items:
- Insufficient traditional funding for Sustainable Land Management and Land Degradation Neutrality
- New financing opportunities: Climate funds
- Climate rationale of actions related to SLM promotion and combating desertification: prerequisites and perspectives
***(N.B.: Initially planned for the same day, the two OSS side events were merged for internal logistical reasons for the Conference organizers).
OSS also welcomes the COP14 visitors to its information Booth, and present the last publications such as the Regional Land cover Atlases (North Africa, West Africa and Sahel,...)